This year marks the 60th anniversary of the reign of Queen Elizabeth II (our Duke) and the island plans to celebrate in style, starting with the launch of the £100 Jersey note and a commemorative stamp from Jersey Post on 31st May. On Sunday 3rd June each Parish will hold a special service to mark the occasion and Grouville intends to hold a celebration on Gorey Common that afternoon and evening, with the aim of providing a fun day out for all age groups.
On the same day Jersey will be represented by two boats in the Thames Flotilla Pageant, to be reviewed by The Queen from a specially created Royal Barge. The two Jersey boats are the ‘Norman Le Brocq’ (Working Vessels) and the ‘Howard D’ (Historical Vessels)
A committee has been formed to organise live music and other entertainment for the Grouville Party. The usual children’s entertainment will be available and there will be food and drink stalls. As this is very much a Parish event, Grouville School, Girl Guides, Scouts and other Parish groups are being encouraged to participate.
As part of the planning process, the committee is hopeful of securing a permanent electricity supply on the Common, which will benefit future events for many years to come.
The committee is relying on sponsorship, both commercial and private, to fund the event with any surplus going to two local charities; Parkinson’s UK Jersey branch and Teenage Cancer Trust, Jersey Appeal. Anyone who wishes to contribute in any way is asked to contact Charles Dix (evenings only please) on 855955.
A fundraiser Quiz/Bingo evening is being held at the Parish Hall on Friday 30th March 2012. Tickets are £6.00 each and doors open at 7.30 p.m. A glass of wine, soft drinks and nibbles are included in the price. If you fancy this fun evening, please reserve your place by sending the names, addresses and contact numbers of those wishing to attend together with a cheque for £6.00 per person, payable to “Parish of Grouville”, to Charles Pinel, Villefranche, Le Grand Pre, La Rue Maraval, Grouville, JE3 9DN.
Other island celebrations being planned are:
· Monday 4th June:
· An Island Service of Thanksgiving in the morning led by the Dean of Jersey at the Town Church.
· A cavalcade and static Display of vintage and classic vehicles in the afternoon at the People’s Park and the Jersey Race Club ‘Jubilee Meeting’ at Les Landes Race Course.
· In the late afternoon and evening there will be a Jubilee Food Festival at Les Jardins de la Mare including live entertainment, music, local stalls and produce, food and drink, and a ‘big screen’ showing footage of The Queen’s visits to Jersey and other animations.
· That evening there will be a Jubilee Concert at Fort Regent involving military bands, orchestral and choral music and popular artists which will also be screened on a ‘big screen’ at the Jubilee Food Festival. Tickets to go on sale in March.
· The celebrations will end with the lighting of the Island’s Jubilee Beacon, as part of the national lighting of beacons across the UK and Crown Dependencies, followed by a Firework Display, both staged from Elizabeth Castle.
· Tuesday 12th June – The Diamond Jubilee Exhibition will open at the Berni Gallery and the Jersey Arts Centre.
Full details and timings of all the celebrations will be publicised in May. We hope that you will support your Parish event on Sunday 3rd June and encourage others, both inside and outside the parish, to come and join in the fun of a great Grouville occasion.
By Charles Pinel