We are committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of ability, capability or technology.
We routinely check the pages on parish.gov.je to ensure that they meet our accessibility requirements. We welcome your feedback regarding the accessibility of any of our pages or services. We aim to conform to the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C's) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, to a double-A level.
- We have provided logical and consistent navigation for keyboard users
- Our logo links to the home page
- Site search facilities have been implemented
Screen reader navigation
If you are using a screen reader, you should be able to navigate through the site using the following keyboard commands:
- H to move forwards through the page headings
- Shift + H to move backwards through the page headings
- 1 to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or 2 for the next level 2 heading, and so on to heading 6)
- Shift + 1 to navigate to the previous level 1 heading (same applies for headings 2-6)
- Insert + F5 to get a list of all form controls on the page
- Insert + F6 to get a list of all headings on the page
- Insert + F7 to get a list of all links on the page
Images have been given descriptive alternative text, which allows screen reader users to understand images that help understand the page content. Decorative and spacer images that we think aren't essential to understanding the content have null alternative text.
Changing the colour and font of the display
We don't currently offer any alternate colour schemes. However, you can use the controls in your browser to change the size of the text or the colour of the display.
For example, to override the website font and colour settings in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer
- Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options
- Click the General tab, and then click Accessibility
- Select the 'ignore colors specified on web pages', 'ignore font styles specified on web pages', and 'ignore font sizes specified on web pages' check boxes, and then click OK twice
The following assistive technologies are compatible with the site except for areas that have accessibility limitations.
- JAWS versions 12, 13 and 14
- NVDA Screen Reader
- Dragon Naturally Speaking version 11.5
- ZoomText 9.1 Screen Magnifier
You may experience issues with older versions of these applications or other assistive technologies. If you experience any issues, please contact us.
This site has been developed to conform to level AA of the World Wide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0). These guidelines are the internationally recognised benchmark for building accessible web sites. The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines explain how to make websites more accessible for people with disabilities. Conformity to these guidelines also makes websites more user-friendly for all people.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines on W3C website
Due to certain constraints, we have had to include technologies and features that cause accessibility issues. These include:
- Adobe PDF downloadable documents
- Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint downloadable documents
We are working towards overcoming these limitations by improving their accessibility and failing that, by providing accessible alternatives. If you require alternative versions to our downloadable documents or if you experience any accessibility problems with our site, please contact us.